Extra Life is a New York-based band led by guitarist/ vocalist/ composer Charlie Looker, a core member of the noise/chamber group Zs and collaborator for Dirty Projectors, John Zorn, William Parker and John Zorn. Formed in 2007, Extra Life combines elements of dark romantic pop a-la Bowie’s Berlin period, aggressive math rock a-la Slint, Modern Classical Compositions and Medieval vocal music, which the album title, “Secular Works”, refers to. “Secular Works” is without a doubt one of the most unique albums we’ve ever heard. It is challenging and rewarding, complex but melodic, intellectual but within reach. For fans of Xiu Xiu, Dirty Projectors, The Dead Science and Sun City Girls.” “In Extra Life, [Looker] taps into a mesmerizing form of avant-rock raga, repeating words, and shifting into a windswept, entrancing post-punk throat singing… these are master works. The album itself is called Secular Works, but this stuff feels somehow religious in its fervour.” – Stereogum “Every so often there’s a record so accomplished that it makes most albums of its type sound ridiculous, and Secular Works is one of those…. Remarkable for its scope, depth and technical accomplishment, Secular Works is a devastating record that has the power to change minds, if only people hear it. Don’t miss out.” - Charlie Wilmoth, Dusted
- Limited Edition of 500 Double LP
- Charlie Looker, The spearhead of the band has previously recorded withThe Dirty Projectors & John Zorn
- Extensive Touring in Europe over May - June.
- Previously toured with TV on the Radio, Magik Markers, The Dead Science and Excepter
- The US release on Planeria Records has won critical acclaim, gaining Albums of the Year in Dusted Magazine and Tinymixtapes.com.
- For Fans of: Arthur Russell, Slint, Xiu Xiu